Dr Rosemary J. Harris
||School of Mathematical Sciences
Queen Mary University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS
||+44 (0)20 7882 5478
|Email Address :
||rosemary.harris @ qmul.ac.uk
I joined QMUL in 2007 and am now a Reader in Applied Mathematics as well as an External Fellow of the London Mathematical Laboratory. I have a D.Phil. in Theoretical Physics from the University of Oxford and held postdoctoral research positions at the Forschungszentrum Jülich and the Universität des Saarlandes.
My interests are focused on stochastic non-equilibrium processes including:
- interacting particle systems, large deviations, fluctuation relations
- applications, e.g., traffic, econophysics, biological modelling.
- Decision-making with distorted memory: Escaping the trap of past experience, E. Mitsokapas and R. J. Harris, Physica A 593, 126762 (2022).
- Statistical characterization of airplane delays, E. Mitsokapas, B. Schäfer, R. J. Harris and C. Beck, Sci Rep 11, 7855 (2021).
- Giant leaps and long excursions: fluctuation mechanisms in systems with long-range memory, R. L. Jack and R. J. Harris, Phys. Rev. E 102, 012154 (2020).
- A large deviation perspective on ratio observables in reset processes: robustness of rate functions, F. Coghi and R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Phys. 179, 131 (2020).
- Transport fluctuations in integrable models out of equilibrium, J. Myers, M. J. Bhaseen, R. J. Harris and B. Doyon, SciPost Phys. 8, 007 (2020).
- Effective bandwidth of non-Markovian packet traffic, M. Cavallaro and R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Mech., 083404 (2019).
- Thermodynamic uncertainty for run-and-tumble–type processes, M. Shreshtha and R. J. Harris, EPL (Europhysics Letters) 126, 40007 (2019).
- Do environmental concerns affect commuting choices? Hybrid choice modelling with household survey data, J. Roberts, G. Popli and R. J. Harris, J. R. Stat. Soc. Series A 181, 299 (2018).
- Phase transitions in large deviations of reset processes, R. J. Harris and H. Touchette, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 50, 10LT01 (2017).
- A framework for the direct evaluation of large deviations in non-Markovian processes, M. Cavallaro and R. J. Harris, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 49, 47LT02 (2016).
- Local structure of current fluctuations in diffusive systems beyond one dimension, R. Villavicencio-Sanchez and R. J. Harris, Phys. Rev. E 93, 032134 (2016).
- Defect production in quench from current-carrying non-equilibrium state, D. Karevski and R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Mech., 033204 (2016).
- Large deviation analysis of a simple information engine, M. Maitland, S. Grosskinsky and R. J. Harris, Phys. Rev. E 92, 052136 (2015).
- Temporally correlated zero-range process with open boundaries: steady state and fluctuations, M. Cavallaro, R. J. Mondragón and R. J. Harris, Phys. Rev. E 92, 022137 (2015).
- Fluctuations in interacting particle systems with memory, R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Mech., P07021 (2015) [Special issue Correlations, Fluctuations, Rare Events and Transport in Non-equilibrium Systems].
- Random walkers with extreme value memory: modelling the peak-end rule, R. J. Harris, New J. Phys. 17, 053049 (2015).
- Dynamics of non-Markovian exclusion processes, D. Khoromskaia, R. J. Harris and S. Grosskinsky, J. Stat. Mech., P12013 (2014).
- Fluctuation relations for anisotropic systems, R. Villavicencio-Sanchez, R. J. Harris and H. Touchette, EPL (Europhysics Letters) 105, 30009 (2014).
- Fluctuation theorems for stochastic interacting
particle systems, G. M. Schütz, R. J. Harris and A. Rákos, Markov Processes and Related Fields 20, 1 (2014) [Proceedings of the 16th Brazilian School of Probability].
- Dynamics of instantaneous condensation in the ZRP conditioned on an atypical current, R. J. Harris, V. Popkov and G. M. Schütz, Entropy 15, 5065 (2013) [Special issue Advances in Applied Statistical Mechanics].
- Large deviation approach to nonequilibrium systems, H. Touchette and R. J. Harris, arXiv:1110.5216, chapter for book on "Nonequilibrium Statistical Physics of Small Systems" eds. R. Klages, W. Just and C. Jarzynski (2013).
- Current loops and fluctuations in the zero-range process on a diamond lattice, R. Villavicencio-Sanchez, R. J. Harris and H. Touchette, J. Stat. Mech., P07007 (2012).
- Traffic of cytoskeletal motors with disordered attachment rates, H. Grzeschik, R. J. Harris and L. Santen,
Phys. Rev. E 81, 031929 (2010).
- First-order phase transitions from poles in asymptotic representations of partition functions, H. Touchette, R. J. Harris and J. Tailleur, Phys. Rev. E 81, 030101(R) (2010).
- Fourier's law on a one-dimensional optical random lattice, T. Platini, R. J. Harris and D. Karevski, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 43, 135003 (2010).
- Current fluctuations in stochastic systems with long-range memory, R. J. Harris and H. Touchette, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 42, 342001 (2009).
- Short-time behaviour of demand and price viewed through an
exactly solvable model for heterogeneous interacting market agents, G. M. Schütz, F. Pigeard de Almeida Prado,
R. J. Harris and V. Belitsky, Physica A 388, 4126 (2009).
- On the range of validity of the fluctuation theorem for stochastic Markovian dynamics, A. Rákos and R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Mech., P05005 (2008).
- Fluctuation theorems for stochastic dynamics,
R. J. Harris and G. M. Schütz, J. Stat. Mech., P07020 (2007) [Focus issue Dynamics of Non-Equilibrium Systems].
- Hydrodynamics of the zero-range process in the condensation regime,
G. M. Schütz and R. J. Harris, J. Stat. Phys. 127, 419 (2007).
- Scaling approach to related disordered stochastic and free-fermion models,
R. J. Harris and R. B. Stinchcombe, Phys. Rev. E 75, 031104 (2007).
- Breakdown of Gallavotti-Cohen symmetry for stochastic dynamics,
R. J. Harris, A. Rákos and G. M. Schütz, EPL (Europhysics Letters) 75, 227 (2006).
- Zero-range model of traffic flow,
J. Kaupužs, R. Mahnke and R. J. Harris, Phys. Rev. E 72, 056125 (2005).
- Current fluctuations in the zero-range process with open boundaries,
R. J. Harris, A. Rákos and G. M. Schütz, J. Stat. Mech., P08003 (2005).
- Ideal and disordered two-lane traffic models,
R. J. Harris and R. B. Stinchcombe, Physica A 354, 582 (2005).
- Disordered asymmetric simple exclusion process: Mean-field treatment,
R. J. Harris and R. B. Stinchcombe, Phys. Rev. E 70, 016108 (2004).
In 2021/2022 I am teaching the following course:
For my current Office Hours, please see my official page.
- Venkata Pamulaparthy, 2021–;
- Evangelos Mitsokapas, 2017–2022;
- Francesco Coghi, 2018–2021 (initially supervised by Ginestra Bianconi);
- Mayank Shreshtha, 2016–2021;
- Jason Myers (KCL CANES CDT student, jointly supervised with Benjamin Doyon and Joe Bhaseen), 2016–2020;
- Mike Maitland (Warwick Complexity DTC student, jointly supervised with Stefan Grosskinsky), 2012–2016;
- Massimo Cavallaro (jointly supervised with Raul Mondragón), 2012–2016;
- Rodrigo Villavicencio Sanchez (jointly supervised with Hugo Touchette), 2010–2014.
I was instigator of the QMUL Statistical Mechanics Study Group and have been co-organizer of the following workshops:
I enjoy travelling, hillwalking and outdoor swimming. Since 2018 I have been Curator of the London Mathematical Laboratory's Science on Screen film series at the Barbican.
This page is maintained by Rosemary Harris.
The views and opinions expressed in these pages are mine.
The contents of these pages have not been reviewed or approved by
Queen Mary University of London.